We had a lovely, lazy morning. After a stop at a little pastry shop, we wandered the streets of Madrid. Our goal was to tour the palace and see the Plaza Mayor, but the walk there was equally entertaining with its random churches and smaller plazas along the way. The Spanish really know how to plan public spaces. When we got to the Plaza, there was classical music echoing off the walls and in the center of the plaza was a show of dancing police horses. There were four brown and four gray horses, all of which performed a choreographed number. It was quite the show.
After Plaza Mayor, we wandered only a few feet and found the Mercado de San Miguel. It was a dream with fresh fruit, fresh fish, fresh meat, fresh veggies, fresh ice cream, fresh pastries. Tapas were available at several of the stands. There were a couple of bars there. Tony and I found the fromagerie. Since coming to Spain, we have realized there is not a Spanish cheese we don´t like. This case of cheese was extreme temptation. We settled on the plate of 10 cheeses for 12€. It was so incredibly gluttonous! Truth be told, Tony and I were in a cheese induced haze for the next couple of hours, but we believe it was worth it.
| The gothic church with deceptive interior |
We strolled back to the hotel, taking in Puerta del Sol, a plaza that rivals Plaza Mayor for the center of happenings in Madrid, and walked streets we had not seen yet. After some rest at the hotel, we were brought to our window by lots and lots of honking. In what I guess was an earth week celebration, several hundred bicycle riders took over Paseo del Prado and rode down the length of the Paseo and back. It was quite a sight!
| One of the random, attractive monuments that pepper the city. |
We walked to the La Latina district for a very happening tapas experience. The scene in that neighborhood was very vibrant, mostly full of young people. I was on a mission to find patatas bravas (fried potatoes with spicy sauce), but I was also looking for some sangria. The first place we stopped had both and when the waiter asked if I wanted a "grande," I thought, "Yes, that is how much I want sangria. I want a large." I then learned that a grande was a full sized pitcher. I drank as much as I could, but we ended up passing the pitcher to a neighboring table.
Because we had spent so much of the day walking, we began to head back to our hotel, but not without stopping at another tapas bar along the way. Tony has a new favorite- ham croquettes. This bar was all about bull-fighting with pictures of famous bull fighters on the wall, as well as the stuffed head of a bull by the door. It was a bit of a whole in the wall, definitely less popular than the last place, but the decor kept us entertained and the croquettes were warm and tasty.
We went to bed fat and happy and slept very soundly.
No comments:
Post a Comment